Is it time to install some smart heating controls?
When did you last look at central heating thermostat? It’s probably located somewhere in your hallway and something you only look at when you want to turn the central heating up.
Maybe it’s time to take a more considered look as your thermostat could be costing your hundreds of pounds a year! Just imagine what you could do with some extra pocket money lying around.
Changing your thermostats might not be high up on your to do list at the moment but investing in a smart thermostat is proving popular for those people who want greater control over the central heating system and those who wish to save money on heating costs.
Installing a smart thermostat is more than just being cool!
Smart thermostats are more than just a cool trend, it’s something that will seriously save you money. Most room thermostats work in an inefficient way, they power on for a while, then turns off, then power up again, and the cycle just continues. This type of cycle will cost you money because a stable temperature is never reached.
Thankfully, you don’t have to put up with this inefficient cycling anymore. With a Tado Smart Thermostat you can control your heating from anywhere, in your home or away from home, using the Tado App on your smart phone
Thankfully, you don’t have to put up with this inefficient cycling anymore. With a Tado Smart Thermostat you can control your heating from anywhere, in your home or away from home, using the Tado App on your smart phone.
Tado Smart Thermostat has intelligent skills built in such as geofencing, open window detection and weather adaption which means you can save up to 30% a year off your heating bills.
Tado Smart Thermostat can be viewed as a modular system as you can start with just the thermostat to control your central heating, but then add other products such as a smart hot water controller (for those without combi boilers) and smart radiator values for those who would like to control individual room temperatures.
What are Tado’s features?
Some of the key features the Tado Smart Thermostat system are:
- Intelligent control for your heating system – you’ll never need to arrive home to a cold house!
- Tado App for remote access and control from anywhere using your smartphone
- Custom Scheduling
- Open window detection allowing the heating to be turned down.
- Weather adaption allowing the heating to be turned down on sunny days.
- Geofencing detects when you (your smartphone) leaves home which allows your heating to be turned down – never heat an empty house again!
- Control your heating by voice with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant or Apple’s HomeKit.
What do you get for your investment?
Tado offer a number of starter kit options:
The Tado Smart Thermostat starter kit contains a smart thermostat that either replaces your existing wired thermostat or connects to the boiler wireless (for wireless connection an extension kit is required), Internet Bridge, USB Cable and Fixings Cost £161.93 at the time of writing.
The Tado Extension Kit is for hot water control (so for those who do not have combi boilers) the extension kit replaces a dual channel (heating and water) programmer and connect to the boiler via a cable. (The extension kit can provide wireless connection to the Tado Smart Thermostat) Cost £67.81 at the time of writing.
The Tado Smart Radiator Thermostatic valves can be used to control radiators individually by replacing the traditional thermostatic radiator heads. Cost £59.00 per valve at the time of writing.
Positives about the Tado Smart Thermostat
- The Tado Smart Thermostat is very affordable compared to other models out there.
- The thermostat is also very easy to use and understand and the remote access via the app is also very user-friendly.
- It’s design is very modern and looks great against your wall.
- The installation isn’t difficult, but you can also have a professional come and install it if you are unsure if you’ll be able to do it.
- The thermostats are very sensitive to the temperature, so you’ll always get an accurate reading.
- You are able to program different temperatures for different times of day.
- The Geofencing works well when you leave home with your smartphone the heating turns down or off depending on how you set it up.
Negatives about the Tado Smart Thermostat
- Some users had minor teething issues with the setup which related to the configurations Tado has to do pre installation for a multi zone system.
- The updated version 3+ which, makes the ‘smart’ functionality a subscription-based service,
- is extremely limited in functionality unless you subscribe to Tado’s monthly service, currently £2.99 per month.
What’s the final verdict?
If you are in the market for a smart thermostat, The Tado Smart Thermostat works great. Connecting your smart thermostat to your smartphone is a breeze, and you won’t ever want to go back to a traditional thermostat especially when you see the money savings rolling in!
However please be aware that in order to benefit from all the features, such as, geofencing, weather adaption and window detection you will need to pay Tado’s month subscription which is currently £2.99 per month.
There are alternatives
As you would imagine there are alternative smart thermostats you can consider, the two we would suggest are:
The Nest Learning Thermostat – 3rd Generation at a cost of £178.99 at the time of writing.
The Hive Active Smart Thermostat at a cost of £178.00 at the time of writing
I use the Hive Active Smart Thermostat because I like the Hive system of related products which consists of smart plugs, window and door sensors, webcams and bulbs. It all works well as one system controlled by the Hive app and by voice with Amazon’s Alexa.
If you are interested in purchasing a smart thermostat, please click on the button below to go to our online shop.